Why Our Boss is Awesome
Have you met our President & CEO Joanne Pastula?
In honor of National Boss' Day, we want to share some interesting facts about our wonderful leader. Thanks to her direction and leadership, our San Diego office serves as an example to other JA offices nationwide. And here's how Joanne makes San Diego a better place.
Did you know that Joanne…
- Graduated from San Diego State University and is a credentialed secondary teacher;
- Had a business career at Psychology Today and Burnham & Company;
- Committed her time on the board of directors of numerous organizations including The United Way, United Cerebral Palsy Association, Downtown YMCA and SDSU Business Advisory Committee;
- Was involved in LEAD San Diego, San Diego Rotary, Mayor's Commission on the Status of Women, Partnerships in Education and the Committee of 2000;
- Is a founder and committed trustee of the Ackerman Foundation, which supported hundreds of San Diego nonprofits since its creation in 1992;
- Increased Junior Achievement of San Diego's annual revenue from $300,000 to $2 million;
- Branched out JA's financial literacy programs from 15,000 students in 1999 to 50,000 in 2013 in San Diego and Imperial Counties;
- Acquired a 23,000 sq. ft building in Mission Valley that is the permanent home of JA and also the site of JA BizTown;
- Focuses on low-income and inner-city students who especially need the JA curriculum and volunteer role models;
- Has an awesome husband, wonderful children and two adorable granddaughters;
- Has infinite patience and love to dedicate her time to Junior Achievement… and forgive her mischievous dog Murphy all of his bad deeds?
Not to mention—it's impossible not to like her!
If you'd like to meet with Joanne, she'll gladly invite you over to our facility. If you haven't seen JA BizTown or don't know about our new exciting high school program coming up, we encourage you to come and take a peek.
Happy National Boss' Day to all the leaders out there!